Friday, February 25, 2011

Blended salad meets smoothie!

So for the first time, a few weeks ago, I started adding greens to our smoothies. I was scared for a long time to try it, but now I'm so glad I did. You can barely taste it and it adds greens, vitamins,  nutrients, fiber, etc etc, to an already good for you smoothie! So go for it, try it! Oh...and after about a week, my husband wanders into the kitchen sipping on his smoothie, and says "Hmm, it's like blended salad meets smoothie, awesome!" hahaha!

Here's what we do, but you can vary this up a lot.. Different fruits, different greens, different seeds, etc.

In a blender add:
    -1 cup plain yogurt (you can totally use flavored, but I make my own yogurt and it starts out plain, so that's what I use)
    -1-2 cups spinach (I really just grab a huge handful)
    -1-2 cups kale (again, I use a really big handful)
    -1 cup frozen blueberries
    -6 strawberries
    -1 banana
    -2 tb honey
    -2 tb flax seed
    -2 tb hemp seed
    -2 tb chia seed
    -4-8 oz of milk or water to make it "smoothie" consitancy

Blend it up and serve!!! The recipe above makes approximately 3-4 adult size 12 oz servings. For us, we have 2 12 oz adult servings, and 3 kid size cup servings...and a little left over for whoever wants it. Enjoy this for breakfast and start your day off right. Great meal replacement!

No comments:

Post a Comment