Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tortillas

If you've ever looked at the ingredients on a package of tortillas you know that there is a ton of ingredients in there that really don't need to be. So why not make your own? 4 ingredients, one of which is water. You can't beat that! The following recipe will make approximately 10 6-8 inch tortillas. Smaller is great for soft tacos, enchiladas, for spreads, and to dip. Bigger ones to wrap for burritos and wraps.

4 cups whole wheat flour, unbleached, organic
2 ts sea salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients. Add the oil and mix until crumbly. Add water and kneed until smooth.

Heat a skillet or flat pan to medium low. Divide into balls about 1/3 cup in size, or slightly bigger than a golf ball. If you would like large tortillas, go bigger. Roll thin on a floured surface. I have a tortilla press but it doesn't really get them as thin as I'd like. So what I do is: Lay a piece of wax paper on my tortilla press, place the dough ball on it, top with another piece of wax paper, press. THEN I roll it out with a rolling pin further. This actually gives it a nicer shape than if I just roll it with a rolling pin. Plus I think it rolls thinner than if I just use a rolling pin. But I'm not the best rolling pin user, so do whatever you like. For years I did it without the press just fine. After you have one rolled out, throw it on an un-greased skillet or flat pan. Cook until you get some bubbles.
Than flip. Cook until you have some light brown spots on the underside, just a few minutes.
(Haha, yes I know that one has a whole, no one's perfect =)  ) Remove from pan and keep under a cloth until all the tortillas are done and are ready to be used. If you are going to be wrapping burritos, wet the tortillas and put in a toaster oven for a few minutes to make them easier to roll, plus they'll stay together really well. This works with ANY tortilla. Never make a burrito without that tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment